CounterPULSE offers a number of co-productions every season in our fully ADA accessible, 95-seat theater. Our critically acclaimed, curated seasons offers independent artists and companies the opportunity to produce work within a professionally supported environment, to access space and resources at significantly subsidized rates, and to reach new audiences with CounterPULSE’s outreach.
- Fall of 2014 (September-December, 2014) please submit by Mar 7th, 2014
- Spring of 2014 (March – June, 2014) – Season booking closed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Our curatorial philosophy:
- We are open to many different proposals from a wide variety of artists, and there are no rules about who we will select. However, we tend to choose applicants who:
- Blend more than one performance genre or discipline. Collaboration with other artists is strongly encouraged.
- Are community-based and socially aware. We are interested in work that addresses current social, political or environmental concerns.
- Have a distinct and compelling vision for how they would like to take advantage of CounterPULSE’s physical space.
- Who will bring a new community that broadens and cross-pollinates with CounterPULSE’s existing audience.
- We particularly encourage queer artists, artists of color, and artists with disabilities to apply, and we prioritize world premiere or regional premiere performances.
What we offer:
(Exact offerings and rates subject to change)
The $2200 Co-Production fee includes:*
1) One (1) House Technician and Access to the theater for 25 hrs including:
- 3 Performance blocks at 5 hours per block (from 6-11pm Fri, Sat, Sun)
- 1-hour production meeting
- 1-hour of strike (11pm-12am on closing night).
- 8 hours of Technical Rehearsal
- 8 hours of Technical Rehearsal is the minimum required amount for tech time, after accessing your technical needs CounterPULSE reserves the right to require more tech time.
2) One (1) House Manager for three (3) performances (4 hours per performance, 6-10pm)
3) Liability Insurance Coverage: For rehearsals and performances
4) A Marketing Package: Presence on CounterPULSE Website, social media, a monthly e-blast sent to over 10,000 people, and opportunity to post on the CounterPULSE blog.
5) Comprehensive Ticketing Services: Phone and online pre-sales and box office management at the event. Artists receive 100% of the proceeds from the box office after fees paid to our ticketing vendors (see details below in ‘Box Office’ section).
6) Audience-Building Data: Contact information and demographic statistics about Artist’s audience.
7) Access to the Expertise: CounterPULSE’s friendly and professional staff is available to help support Artist through production, marketing/outreach and financial wrap-up.
*For four performances in one week (Thurs-Sun) the base co-production fee is $2,750, all other offerings are the same as listed above. For single or two night performances the rate will be determined on a case-by-case basis in advance, and will include all of the above offerings unless otherwise specified.
- Any hours in excess of the 25hrs listed above can be reserved for $40/hr for up to 20 hours; $35/hr for more than 20 hours.
- We expect you to arrange for your own design elements, including lighting, sound, audio and video design.
- If you require more than the one technical staff person provided please either arrange for your own staff or discuss your expanded staffing needs with CounterPULSE.
- As appropriate, we expect each co-producer to have plans for the marketing and outreach need of their event.
How to Make a Proposal:
- Read the entire contents of this webpage.
- Download the Co-production Proposal form: CounterPULSE Co-Production Proposal Fall 2014
- Complete proposal form
- Email proposal to email@example.com by specified deadline
- Submit your application as an attachment in either MS Word or PDF format.
- Please save and submit your application document using the following labeling system: “FullName_Fall2013_CoProApp.doc”, e.g. JonSmith_Fall2013_CoProApp.doc
- Please do NOT submit any materials not requested in this application.
- Please do NOT send/deliver Application Form as hardcopies
- Hardcopies of DVD/CD of work samples are accepted, but we prefer online links. Hardcopy submission of work samples must be RECEIVED no later than 5pm on the date of the specified deadline. Please send/deliver a self-addressed envelope with return postage if you would like us to return your DVD/CD. Mail or deliver hardcopies of WORK SAMPLE materials only (no printed application materials) to: CounterPULSE, ATTN: Kathryn Cole, 1310 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94104
Space/Theater: 1350 – ft2 (25’ wide (20 ft. if shins are used) x 26’ deep) studio-theater with 15 ft ceilings. Fully sprung hardwood floor covered with black marley, option of black curtains, aerial riggable. Two single-stall ADA bathrooms, dressing room/green room, and full kitchen. Fire hallway is available for moving bodies only and cannot be used to store anything. Backstage bathrooms are shared with audience. Dressing room/green room is suitable for 3 or 4 people. It also contains a shower. The front offices and the tech loft are off-limits.
Gallery/Lobby: Use of the gallery/lobby exhibition space is not included in this contract. CounterPULSE may have art on display in the gallery during Artist’s performance. If Artist would like to use the gallery space, Artist will need to make a separate request and sign a separate contract.
Technical Equipment: CounterPULSE has a full range sound system:
- 16 channel Soundcraft FX Board with built in effects,
- 24 dimmers with DMX-512 control
- ETC Express 24/48 board
- 3000 lumens projector.
Flooring: The theater floor is a sprung hardwood dance floor covered in black marley. The marley is required at any event where shoes are worn or heavy props are used that may damage the floor. There is the option of removing the black marley to expose the hardwood (there are NO Shoes allowed on the hardwood), and to change the color of the marley to grey or white.
Audience Seating: CounterPULSE has a legal capacity of 172 people. Standard seating accommodates 95 seats. Pillows are available for floor seating. Alternate seating configurations are possible (in the round, concert pit, etc).
Accessibility: CounterPULSE is an ADA-accessible theater. Wheelchair ramps must be accessible at all times. The backstage areas must be kept clear before/after the show and during intermission to allow access to restrooms.
Animals: Only licensed service animals are permitted at CounterPULSE.